- Fine Arts
- Meet the staff
- Contact Us
- Superintendent Search
- Student Life
- Auction 2017
Central Christian is one of the few schools in the area to offer group violin instruction for all students beginning in first grade, using t
Few things proclaim the majesty of God and express emotion as an orchestra can. Students primarily study sacred and nonsacred pieces by classical composers such as Bach, Beethoven and Mozart.
“Bach gave us God’s Word. Mozart gave us God’s laughter. Beethoven gave us God’s Fire. God gave us music, that we might pray without words.” - author unknown
All students, beginning in first grade, participate in group violin instruction using the Suzuki Method. Violins are provided by Central Christian School.
In addition to Orchestra, Central students may participate in various other ensembles:
● Wind Ensemble—Open to high school students who play a wind or percussion instrument. Students study a wide variety of Concert Band and Symphonic Wind literature.
● String Ensemble—Open to high school students who play a string instrument. Students study standard string orchestra material.
● Jazz Band—The jazz ensemble plays a variety of musical styles including swing, rock, Latin, and ballads. This ensemble teaches leadership skills through part independence. In addition to high school concerts, the jazz band performs at the Midwest Regional Mennonite Orchestra Festival and some high school basketball games.
● Heartland Strings—A chamber quartet. Heartland performs at school concerts as well as area nursing homes, weddings and local events. To schedule a performance at your event, contact Lara Dudack.
● Midwest Regional Mennonite Orchestra Festival—An annual collaborative effort between CCS, Bethany Christian of Goshen, Indiana, and Iowa Mennonite School of Kalona, Iowa. The festival rotates between the three schools and includes a mass orchestra, wind ensemble, string orchestra, and jazz band. Students work with a guest conductor and perform challenging music.